Curriculum The Hind Leys curriculum is organised into two key stages: Key Stage 4 and Key Stage 5. Currently, students begin the KS4 curriculum at the start of Y10 following an induction programme at the end of Y9. The majority of students study for nine GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications) although our most able scientists will follow the Triple Science programme and therefore study for ten. Carefully selected students are invited to join our Study Plus programme in English or Maths as a replacement for one of their GCSEs. Where appropriate, a minority of students will be on a modified programme of GCSEs and this is where individuals have particular learning needs. In these circumstances they may do additional work on subjects or skills in our Learning Hub and/or follow an in-house alternative programme. The core curriculum offer includes GCSEs in English Literature, English, Mathematics and Double Science (unless a Triple Science student). All students also have lessons in PE and PSHRCE (Personal, Social, Health, Religious & Citizenship Education). Computing and ICT skills are delivered through core subjects. These subjects make up 60% of a student’s timetable. The remaining 40% of a student’s timetable normally comprises four courses of their choice. One of these choices comes from a set of traditional subjects (a modern language or History or Geography or Computer Science), and the remaining three can come from a range of over twenty subjects which includes all of the traditional subjects again as well as other familiar subjects (e.g. Design subjects, Art, Music, Drama, Sports) and new subjects (e.g. Psychology, Media Studies, Business Studies). Subjects are not pre-blocked, and this part of the curriculum is designed around student (and parent/carer) demand for courses which is why students are asked to rank their subject choices. The English Baccalaureate is made available to all students, and if they choose modern languages and a Humanity as part of their choices then this combination is guaranteed. The GCSE in Core Science is sat at the end of Y10, whereas all other GCSEs are sat at the end of Y11. Where courses are offered as a vocational qualification rather than a GCSE (e.g. Sport, ICT) assignments are on-going and make up the majority of the final grade, with short tests towards the end of the courses. The current KS5 offer is made up exclusively of Level 3 courses (mainly A-Levels) apart from opportunities to resit GCSE’s in English and Maths. (For more details of this curriculum please see Post-16). Although students follow a standard timetable for most of the two years, days and periods are suspended on occasions to deliver enrichment activities (e.g. Healthy Living day), interventions (e.g. exam skill sessions), and trial exams. Trips and visits are part of the offer but carefully timed so as not to disrupt important exam work. As exams approach, revision workshops and coursework catch-up sessions are a regular feature at lunchtimes and after school. There are 25 one hour lessons in a week, with Options lessons alternating for KS4 students across a fortnight. The allocation of lessons per year group per week is shown below. YEAR GROUP ALLOCATION OF TIME (BASED ON 2016/17) 10 English (4 lessons), Maths (4 lessons), Science (5.75 lessons), PE (1 lesson), PSHRCE (0.25 lessons), Options (2.5 lessons per subject) 11 English (4 lessons ), Maths (4 lessons), Science (5.75 lessons), PE (1 lesson), PSHRCE (0.25 lessons), Options (2.5 lessons per subject) 12 A-Level/Level 3 subjects (5 lessons for majority with very small groups running on 4 lessons plus one Group Study period), GCSE resit (2 lessons per course), Extended Project Qualification (1 lesson for supervision), Individual Study Periods (2 lessons) 13 A-Level/Level 3 subjects (5 lessons for majority with very small groups running on 4 lessons plus one Group Study period), Extended Project Qualification (1 lesson for supervision), Individual Study periods (2 lessons) * Individual Study period = supervised and registered period where student works in a designated study area ** Group Study period = a roomed and registered period where all students in a class are available to work collaboratively on tasks set by the teacher Sporting activities and teams, school productions and Arts projects are part of the wider curriculum offer as are community based projects (e.g. charity events, student voice, mentoring younger students, supporting in local primaries, etc).